Friday, September 28, 2012

Reflections of my Daddy: Henry Lee Kimbrough


Reflections of my Daddy:

Henry Lee Kimbrough




September 20, 2012 that is a day that I will never forget. That is the day that I lost the only earthly father that I will ever have. That is the day that my mother lost a husband, a companion and a friend. That is the day that my siblings lost a father as well. That is the day that my nieces and nephews lost a paw-paw/ granddad. That is the day that the world of gospel music lost an extraordinary singer, entertainer, performer and a man that really did love to sing about the wonders of God. That is the day that my aunts and uncles lost a brother and friend. That is the day that many people that knew him lost a man that treated you right and greeted you with a smile.

My daddy may be gone but he is certainly not forgotten in my mind, heart and soul. His presence is missed greatly by my mother and other relatives, but his words of wisdom, his good deeds and his love have not and will not be forgotten.

I will forever remember how he kept the crowd engaged during performances, how he dipped when he sung “I’m Happy in the Service of the Lord”, how he jumped when he sung, “I feel Good” along with my uncles, how we spent his last summer together (Summer 2012), how he smiled when he saw me the last Friday of his life on earth when I surprised him by coming home not knowing that it would be the last weekend that we spent together, how he waited to pick me up almost every day in High School, how he enjoyed our trip to Starkville that time, how he provided for our family, how he and my mother showed me how love over powers everything, how he was a fighter despite all the hardships that he was going through, and many, many, many, many, other things.

When I look in the mirror I will see him in the many features of his that I have. When I am in class I will remember how he told me that he wanted me to continue to get my education and how he made it to my college graduation despite being very ill and weak. When I am faced with hard decisions I will remember the words of encouragement that he would have given me. When I hear music I will remember how much he loved it. When I see my mother I will remember how much he loved her. When I see my siblings I will remember how deeply he loved and cared for them. When I hear his name I will forever SMILE. That does not conclude everything that I will do or all the memories that we have together, but I will not go in more detail right now.

Daddy you are gone, but you are certainly not forgotten. I am happy that I was able to make you proud and let you see how right You, Mom and Granny raised me. A lot of things I wish that you would have lived to see, but that was not GOD’s plan; therefore, I understand. I love you and I miss you but I know that you are at peace and that makes me smile.
 REST ON DADDY!

Dear Reader Thank you for taking the time to enter into my personal thoughts. If you do not take anything else from this post please take these two lessons---- 1.) Good parents and guardians are precious and can never be replaced. 2.) We need to continue to make all the necessary steps to find a cure for cancer (a) Donate (b) Educate more people to become Doctors and Scientists (c) Support the cause to end ALL types of Cancer (d) and anything else that will be beneficial to finding a cure.
 

*All Photos in this post are Personal, please do not use for any kind of reposting purposes*

1 comment:

  1. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I also lost my mother to cancer on June 2nd. So, I know exactly how you feel. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her, but I know she's no longer suffering and I try to let that comfort me.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?